"It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must NEVER let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the worlds turns, and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. " - Valarie (V for Vendetta)
So it looks like the US and UK are going to invade Iran now too.
The US military builds up on the Iranian border and mysteriously the Iranians capture some British troops in suspicious circumstances. Looks like we'll need to rescue them and oh while we're invading we may as well take out all these suspicious nuclear plants and this leader which we don't really like. I'm sure nobody will mind. We're the ones with all the big guns and the most money anyway.
Yay for Democracy. Yay for freedom. Just plain yay.
Ooh. I wrote an essay on the topic "What it Terror" for one of my English units and I attacked the US government. Helena gave me a distinciton but I think the government would be more inclined to lock me up. Politics sucks. I've stopped watching the news and reading the paper because I just don't want to know. Is that a bad thing? I'm not talking about the commercial station news reports/current affairs or The West Australia/Sunday Times because anyone who watches and reads those and doesn't realise how biassed they are is a bit silly. I'm talking about news blogs, The New York Times, The Australian, ABC/SBS.
I feel like it is wrong to not care. That it is selfish to only worry about passing my units. That it is pointless to only want to hang out with my friends and have fun while there is so much injustice going on but I'm just tired of all the bad news.
Thoughts, guys?
PS: Shirley Manson is still amazing. Maybe I should just follow her blindly. It seems to be the cool thing to do these days.
 |
Comments on "For Whom The Bell Tolls."
-
Elias said ... (Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:53:00 pm) :
-
David said ... (Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:57:00 pm) :
-
Val Fury said ... (Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:32:00 pm) :
-
Andrew said ... (Monday, April 02, 2007 12:38:00 pm) :
-
Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:51:00 pm) :
post a commentTotally agreed dude.
About the news being biased that is, apart from SBS, anyway.
Is it wrong not to care? I suppose it is, but remember, the injustice was going on long before it was being transmitted to your television set.
We're really too young to make a difference, but if you wanna join a rally, let me know. I'll go with ya.
That, and some seditious activity (Totally not cool) is pretty much everything a bunch of uni students can do.
I forgot to mention that now that David Hicks has pleaded guilty anyone who supported him in any way (rallies, petitions, emails) is now a criminal under the new anti-terrorism legislation.
there's worse people you could follow blindly...
i've got a doco you'd like, "In Shifting Sands", done by an ex-UN weapons inspector. he quit for a reason.
and as for not getting involved, can anyone blame you? it's a political minefield, thanks to the fact that it ain't usually just one side that's fucked up
following anything blindly is like turning off all common sense and going into autopilot.
but yeah, they will be able to tell if those sailors captured are lying about being happy there, it already happened with north korea when they captured some troops from a spy ship masquerading as a research vessel. the troops let thier family/friends and so the military know they werent happy by telling stories about events that never happened, and giving the camera the finger (said it was a good luck thing)
Was going to have a go at what you said about David Hicks' sympathisers, but cbf.
It's ok to not care about shit. I have been happy not caring for over a year now, and I'm still alive. All I loose out on is not being able to join in on family conversations. But there's no real loss there.
PS: I'm sure it wasn't criminal sending an email to Hicks. And even if it was, I don't care :) See how easy it is?
It's their fuckin' problem for having a son who travelled to Afghanistan and did naughty terror things. People need to accept this, stop windging, and let the authorities process him like the hundreds/thousands of other people. Being an Australian citizen isn't a "Get out of jail for free" card.
But I still don't give a shit, no matter what happens.